Tuesday 12 May 2015

...on Acceptance

Acceptance is key....isn't it.

It's funny.  I just wrote a post on trying to find ways to dealing with my inner disturbances and insecurities and I'm hearing a lot of little whispers lately telling me to accept the things I cannot change.

The thing is, I was trying to just let go of the things I cannot change.  I was forgetting the first step in letting go........

Acceptance.

My inner disturbances have been calmer this week, since I've come to accept certain things.  How easily I forgot.  I had to remember to accept the feelings I was feeling.  I had to accept them and remind myself that it was okay to have them.   I had to accept the circumstances of my outer world and trust that God has a plan for everything that goes on around me.  I have to trust the process.  I have to accept and surrender.  I can't be at peace in my mind, without acceptance.  I know that now.

I have to agree with this quote I found today.


I truly believe that recovery comes only when we accept the things we cannot change.  We cannot change people.  We cannot change events.  We cannot change certain circumstances in our lives.    We have to accept them or we will friggen go crazy....  the mind will go crazy.   Our bodies will become ill.   When we hold on to resentments and don't let go, we become spiritually sick people.  Resentments are the #1 killer to us alcoholics.




So, I have to let go....  let go of resistance.  Surrender.  I can't fight it anymore.  Can't fight off my ex anymore.  I'm tired.   I've tried to help him change for the past 20 years.  So I will accept that he is an angry man, that he's negative, that he's stuck there.  I can only hope that he finds true spiritual growth and the happiness that I've found.  I can only pray for him to recover, like I have.  

....to accept the things I cannot change.....  

Yes.  The Serenity Prayer.  The key prayer to AA people.  It should be the key prayer for everyone!  

It doesn't just end with the first 4 lines either.  There's more to it.  It is truly powerful.  I'm living it today.  We can all live it today.  We can breathe.  We can feel.  We can love.  We can live.

One moment at a time.....





 photo sob_zps617069f1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Dear SM,
    I had NO idea the serenity prayer was longer!!
    Thank you so much for teaching me!
    Acceptance is key to a happy life, I think! I was going crazy, thinking everyone and life should be changing just for me!
    I am finding more peace the longer I am sober, and the longer I work on my self-compasion, including acceptance of who I am.
    Hugs!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sober Mommy! Thanks for visiting my blog. I am so happy to find you. I am just like you, but with a 'u'. Love your wisdom. Hugs from Sober Mummy x

    ReplyDelete