Monday 26 October 2015

How Long Do I Have To Avoid People, Places and Things?

My sister wants me to go to a Stag N Doe this weekend...and with Stag N Doe comes drinking, dancing and hangovers.

I want to go because I love to socialize and NEED to have some fun in my life very soon before I turn into a hermit.  I also want to go because I love dancing.  I need people in my life.  Adults.   Fun.

I don't think I'm ready to face the challenges of a bunch of drunkards, dancing and laughing and having a good ole time, while I do all those things soberly.  Don't get me wrong.... I know how to laugh and dance without having alcohol in my system.   I just don't know if I can be strong enough to do it, at an event where everyone else is doing it.  Ok....maybe not every single person, but all my friends will be.....

Part of me wants to drink with everyone and have a blast.  Part of me wants to stay home and lay low in my own little world too.

I don't think I'm ready to go to these kinda things yet.   How long will I have to avoid people, places and things that include alcohol?   I've been sober for 10 friggen months!  I should be ready!

ARGHHHHHH!!




5 comments:

  1. This is tough. I so can relate. I went out on Friday with friends and BUM my day 20 never happened. I think if you feel vulnerable, if you feel that you might slip, don't go. Give yourself a little but more time. There will always be another dancing, another party, another night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you consider going and driving yourself, with a plan to leave whenever you feel you need to?
    If not, don't go. Drunken parties only sound fun when planning them. The reality is that people get messy and weepy and embarrassing.

    Put your own needs first. Do what is it for you. You deserve that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I have a different perspective, I love dancing and I have found sober dancing just as fun and I also found that if I'm dancing I don't have to try to talk/understand all my drunk friends, so when everyone stops making sense I hit the dance floor and never get off. It's a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to dance too, and when hubs and I went dancing sober for our anniversary it was oodles of fun!
    However, if you don't have support with you, and still feel as if you might want to drink, then don't go.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been sober for 10 friggin' months! My thought was, "You've ONLY been sober for 10 friggin' months!" ;)

    I didn't go anywhere for at least the first year. No matter how angry I got or how sorry I felt for myself or how many friends I lost I KNEW I had to avoid those kinds of situations because prior to really getting serious about getting sober, the only time I relapsed was when I found an EXCUSE to go to these parties when I knew they'd be trouble.

    You'll make the choice that's right for you. After all, you're a superstar.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete