Tuesday 20 October 2015

Am I a Dry Drunk?

I wondered what the term "Dry Drunk" meant for a long time.

I'm living it I think.

I'm stuck.  I talked about it at the meeting last night.  Cried.  Got some advice.  ...and I will definitely apply it to my life today.

All my life, I grew up around a miserable, resentful mother.  She drank daily with my father.  They seemed angry all of the time.   A few years ago, my mother told me she resented me as a child.  She was pissed off because I stood in their way.... I was there.  They wanted to drink.  They wanted to party.  I was there.  In the way.

I told myself that I would never be like my mother when I grew up.  I made a promise when I was younger to be a better mom.

I became her.

Resentful.

Angry.

Alcoholic.

When I drank, I was happy for a while until they stood in my way.  I would yell and swear, just like my mother did, to the point where I could hear her voice in me.  I would see the look of fear and loss of trust build up in my kids when this happened.  The way they looked at me was the way I looked at my mom when she was in her fury.

So, I quit drinking.  I thought it would solve all my problems.  I thought "Now I will be a better mom!"  I found some sense of spirituality and Being for several months.

But, for some reason, I'm still struggling with the anger, resentment and impatient part.  Life is so hectic.  I seem to be in a rush for nothing.  I'm not going anywhere really, so why do I lose  my shit when I'm trying to help my kids with homework, or when I have to clean the house cause someone left a damn mess, or when they are fighting.  I get so impatient when things aren't perfect.  Why?

Is this what's considered "Dry Drunk"?  Am I just living like I use to live, but this time without consuming alcohol.... in anger, resentment and fear?   I feel like a ticking time bomb....just waiting till something or someone pisses me off enough for me to go out and get my bottle of vino!  Just waiting for a good reason to drink.

I don't want to drink.  I don't want to go back to numbing.  I'm learning to feel again.  I'm learning to live.  I'm finding my true self.   I'm trying to find peace within myself.  I'm trying to just BE.  Not making rash decisions.  Not making plans.  Just letting go...and letting God take over.

We read step 2 at the meeting last night and this stuck out at me like a tonne of bricks.

We had been asking something for nothing.  The fact was we really hadn't cleaned house so that the grace of God could enter us and expel the obsession.  In no deep or meaningful sense had we ever taken stock of ourselves, made amends to those we had harmed, or freely given to any other human being without any demand for reward.  We had not even prayed rightly.  We had always said, "Grant me my wishes" instead of "Thy will be done."  Therefore we remained self-deceived, and so incapable of receiving enough grace to restore us to sanity.

 This is me.  For real.  I have to make changes.  Letting go of the drink just isn't enough anymore.

SoberMommy

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is that getting sober is the easy part. We drank (as did our parents) to escape life. To numb the rough parts. After we get sober life is still there...in all it's ugliness (along with all it's beauty) but now we have to deal with it SOBER. No one is perfect. I yelled at my kids when they were little ESPECIALLY about homework. I think homework should be outlawed. It creates more issues than it solves.

    But along with the 'losing your shit part' (which we ALL do) comes the beautiful moments. A quiet moment with a kid that wouldn't have come to you when you were drinking. A snuggle that wasn't there before. A look of trust and love that means so much.

    Read this blog - http://www.renegademothering.com/ Janelle is a recovering alcoholic who lost her kids but got them back. She writes an entire blog about not being the perfect mom. If it doesn't make you feel better about yourself it will definitely make you laugh. She's a hoot!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry!
      I just love your support. You know how to make me feel normal.....instead of feeling like an ugly "trying to stay sober" mother.
      I sometimes write my post and think... Oh...Sherry's gonna love this one....
      Lol
      You give me strength to keep pushing forward. You are helping me learn acceptance.... It's sometimes hard to just let go...and accept. But, I'm learning.. Every single day....

      Thanks for the link. I'll check her out for sure. Need to laugh more....
      Love ya
      Jen

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen!
    Kids are not easy.
    When I was teaching, there were times I just lost it and yelled more than I wanted.
    NO one is a perfect mom!!!
    Life is crazy busy. Before I retired, I thought I'd go nuts working and I didn't have kids at home too.
    You are doing great.
    Be sure you have realistic expectations for yourself.
    Easier said than done, for sure!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete