Friday 20 November 2015

...on Sober Dating

Sorry about the late post.  I've been running around trying to find a car because my van is on it's last breath.

Here's my Mr. C update.  I haven't seen him again since my last post. I cancelled our dinner date out of fear, anxiety and pure I can't fucking do this!

I received an incredible message from "Feeling" on my last post.  It grounded me again.  She writes:  

Meeting the love of your life is not about shaking and trembling and hoping whatever you do, say and look like will 'please' him. It is about confidence, acceptance and love. You might want to see if you can get to that place within yourself where you are confident, accepting and loving of yourself and from there on see how things are? 

After reading this message, I came to the realization that I am not confident, accepting and loving toward myself yet!!  Like WTF!   I thought I had all these feelings of insecurities under control but I don't!   

Confidence?  Where did it go?  Why don't I feel confident?  On the outside, people see me as a confident, strong, amazing women, but on the inside, I cringe with fear on a daily basis.  

Acceptance?  I know I can't drink anymore.  I've made a conscious decision to NOT pick up anymore.  I love sobriety.  I accept that I'm an alcoholic.  I accept that booze makes me sick and I want nothing to do with it.  If I accepted it so much, I should be able to tell anybody my story, shouldn't I?  

Loving?  I feel like I'm loving toward myself.  I'm trying to live a more balanced life.  I'm focusing on my Being and living more mindfully.  I love the person I am, on most days.  

Why do I constantly feel like I'm hiding under a great big rock afraid to be seen? or heard? I'm afraid to tell my story.   I'm afraid of what THEY will think. 

The truth is, with Mr C., having a relationship would have been difficult for me.  My biggest fear is telling him my story.  I was afraid that he'd have told my past "drinking buddy" my story (the girl who set us up), and she would have definitely told my story to the rest of my co-workers and friends.  She's a gossiper.  I'm just not ready for that shit!  That is the biggest reason why I'm not seeing him anymore.  Other reasons, just so you know:  He just came out of an 8 year relationship (1 month ago), he constantly talks about her, he's still grieving, he love red wine.  I can't love red wine.

So, after my huge reality check, I decided to break it off with Mr C.  I have to refocus on Me.  I know he's dangerous to me.  I need to avoid danger.  

"Feeling" writes:

The relation dream of a lot of people starts with going for drinks on a Friday night and THEY DON'T WANT THAT IDEAL TO BE SPOILED.

Isn't this so true.  It's the way it's supposed to be, isn't it?  Meet a date, have a drink, make out, fall in love..... drink ....drink.....drink....  The relationship dream.  The norm.  

I almost started drinking a couple of times because I keep thinking, <<How the hell am I going to relax and just be me on a date?>>   My head tells me <<I NEED A GLASS OF WINE FOR THAT!!>>

I haven't been on a date since I quit drinking due to the fact that I can't drink on the first date.  Mr C. was my first.  I was uncomfortable.  

This means I'm not ready, confident, accepting and loving toward myself yet. 

I need to get there before I plan another date.

As for Mr C. I hope he does well on his journey and finds someone that loves red wine like he does.  

It just can't be me.

Sober Mommy

8 comments:

  1. Oh sweetheart!
    You will get there!!
    Give yourself the gift of time.
    Feeling gave you beautiful words of wisdom.
    Let yourself grow into the beautiful person you already have inside of you!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wendy... I'm working on it...slowly but surely.
      xo

      Delete
  2. You have grown so much on this part of your journey. I am so proud to know you and call you friend.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. You are a great friend too!!
      Your strength gives me strength!
      xo

      Delete
  3. You will find love SM, but if you've not sorted yourself yet you'll be looking for someone to fix you, rather than to be a genuine partner. Until you truly love youself, you won't believe youself worthy of anyone else's love. One thing at a time. Baby steps. We love you. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I am looking for someone to take care of me. I sometimes sit back and think....I'm way too vulnerable for this type of guy right now. The difference is....now I know the difference.
      Love you girl!
      xo

      Delete
  4. what a post!

    You'll be just fine, in the long run, with this level of self awareness.

    I went (continue to probably) go through a weird thing about relationships after getting sober. I've been married 30 years and sober 11. So there was a point in my sobriety where I went through a whole questioning thing on the relationship - was my marriage still valid? I'm still working on making it work, but then that is probably true of two non-alcholics in a relationship as well.

    However now in any relationship that matters to me I'm very open and easy to discuss my drinking and now non-drinking. In the end if people don't accept me as that that is their issue not mine and I have got very comfortble with saying to anyone who I think it is important to know that I'm an alcholic and I no longer drink.

    I do remember though early on in my sobriety a lady saying to me "You need to start loving yourself again". That was a real eye opener since at that point I was working my Step 4 and the only resentment that mattered was the huge and seemingly insurmountable one that was against me myself! So... learn to love yourself was good advice to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Graham! I'm just learning to love myself again. I didn't realize how much work it would take. Holy Moly!! Every day kinda work, isn't it....
      Hugs!

      Delete