Wednesday 25 November 2015

...on the Big Question

The other day, someone asked me the big question.

"How did you manage to stay sober for almost a whole year?"

This was my answer.

I decided, one day, that I didn't want to feel like shit anymore!  It was as simple as that!

I remembered getting up on a daily basis with nasty hangovers and I remembered the constant feeling of pure exhaustion.  No sleep.  Queasy belly.  Bags under my eyes.  Unhealthy.   Booze sucked the life out of me....literally.

I wanted it everyday to relax and be happy, but it the end, it exhausted me and aged me....and made me miserable!  I was dying....externally and internally.

I woke up one day and made the decision to not drink anymore.  I told myself that only "I" had the power to make that decision.   I told myself every single day.... <<Today I am not going to drink>> and I learned to avoid and do everything in my power to NOT pick up.  I stuck by my decision.  I prayed and asked for help.... a lot!

On the days that I wanted to drink, I remembered why I stopped in the first place.

I empowered myself!  I made a decision and stuck by it!  I created a bubble around my body and soul and I decided that even though my friends and family were going to drink, nothing or nobody would come into my bubble to interfere with my decision.  Deep down inside, and I wasn't going to break my new bubble, because if I did, then I'd be right back to where I started.  My bubble was a safe place.  It kept me sober.  It kept me healthier than I have felt in years.

Some days were better than others.

But, every day was worth fighting for....

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, true words!!
    Hugs, sweetie!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post gave me an idea. If anyone ever asks me why I don't drink, I can say "It's my lifestyle choice." If you think about it, it is truly a lifestyle that we choose to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete