Thursday 1 January 2015

Daily Reflection

Today, my son asked me if I would drive him to his friend's house.  My immediate response was no and I explained that I just didn't feel like going out today.  It was cold outside and I just felt lazy.   

He ended up convincing me to bring him and told me he would sleep over there so that I didn't have to pick him up later in the evening.   He was so happy to go to his buddy's.  He's in the stage of loving having friends around him.  I was glad that I brought him.   I knew it made him happy.  I assured him that I would pick him up, even if he needed a ride at midnight and he was content and grateful.  

When I got back home, I did some thinking.  In the past, I wouldn't bring my kids to their friends unless it was during the day, before drinking time.  If they wanted to go out later, I would say "No....I don't feel like going out today."  I knew that bringing them to their friends would mean I'd have to pick them up and that would mean....no wine.   

I was selfish.  I made sure I didn't have to drive anywhere on most nights.  

It feels good to know that I'm able to drive anytime, anywhere now.  I don't have to immediately say no when my children want to be with their friends.  I don't have to immediately say no when my sister wants me to go to dinner.  I don't have to immediately say no when a friend needs me to help with an errand.

I feel blessed to be given this gift again....the gift of recovery.  I feel blessed to have great children who I will always love unconditionally.  I feel blessed that I have God to guide me and keep me balanced.
 photo sob_zps617069f1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Sobriety is the best freedom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh being able to say "yes" to anything OR being able to choose the right time to say "no" is truly one of the best gifts sobriety has to offer.

    Remember this moment and hold it tight in your heart. It may help in a weak moment.

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete