Sunday 25 January 2015

...on Mind, Body and Spirit

I have been searching for answers for so many years.  Answers to the simplest questions;

what make me happy?  
what do I want in my life?  
why am I still single?  
will I ever get married again?  
where is God?  is there a God?  
why can't I find spirituality like so many other people?  
how can I be a better mom?  
why can't I stop drinking?  
am I an alcoholic?
why am I so stressed all the time?
how will I pay off all my debt?
what is my purpose in this life?
what happens after I die?
will my children be okay?
who am I?

All these years...all these questions....and all along the answers were right here.....




I am not my mind.  I am not my body.  I..... am Spirit.....

Maybe I've been watching too much of Oprah's Super Soul Sunday, but this is what I've come to believe.

The Mind

Our mind is a powerful, powerful thing.  If you sit in stillness, you will have no choice but to listen to your mind go on and on and on.....You may even want to tell it to shut up once in a while, but that won't work.  It could be so damn frustrating because sometimes we just want to hear nothing.... But, why would your mind want to stop?  I think it wants to be in control over your thoughts, your emotions, your body and your person.  It enjoys being in control.  It's in partnership with your ego. They are like a team in there...trying to stray you away from the person you want to be...... 

Your thoughts can convince you and distract you from so many things in your life...so many things that you are missing....because you are letting your mind control you.......Have you ever driven to work or home and wondered how you got there?  I bet you have been so deep in your thoughts that you often miss the little important things that are right in front of your eyes....the beautiful sunshine, birds soaring in the sky, children laughing....    

Let's compare your mind to a wild animal.....a horse... Mustangs are usually known to run wild and out of control in nature.   What if we tamed the wild horse?  Yes, it could be done....with time and a lot of patience.

Now, imagine taming your mind.   With time and patience and the realization that we do have control over our thoughts, our lives can be so much more manageable.   

Try this....  Close your eyes....  picture a red triangle.....

Did you see the red triangle?  

If you did, you were able to control your thoughts, just like that!

So, if we are able to control our thoughts and become aware of our thoughts, we should be capable of dividing our minds from who we are.  We do this by immediately becoming the observer of our thoughts.  We become aware of our thoughts.  We let our thoughts go through us and we let them go by bringing ourselves back to the present moment.  This great sense of awareness helps us feel empowered.  Once we are aware of our thoughts, we can make the changes necessary to become the people we want to be.  

We separate the mind from the soul.  We get out of our heads.  When our mind tells us to pick up a drink, we don't listen.  When our mind tells us not to exercise today, we don't listen.  When our mind convinces us to give up on our dreams, we don't listen.  We get up everyday and tell our minds that we are going to live in the present moment.....we are not going to listen to it.  We are not going to let it take over our lives.

YOU are not your thoughts.   

You are that person that doesn't want to drink, that wants to be healthy and fit, that has dreams.   Get empowered today and do not let your mind convince you otherwise.    Be present, every single minute of the day.   Keep your mind in check, running smoothly along a straight trail.....not off on a tangent like some wild horse.  

The Body

I truly believe that our body is just a vessel.  It's a borrowed vessel that we have until our spirit leaves it and it dies.  We need to take care of this body we have.  We need to keep it strong and healthy.  We only have this one vessel during this lifetime.  When I look at myself in the mirror, the reflection I see is not really me.  It's merely the human form of me.  I am the spirit person, inside that body and I am perfect and whole.   "I have been created in God's image."  How many times do we hear this and not really think about what it means.  It means that all that I do is what God wants me to do.... all that I am is what He wants me to be....

Listen to this morning prayer taken from Illuminata by Marianne Williamson

Dear God,
I give this day to You.
May my mind be centered on the things of spirit.
May I not be tempted to stray from love.
As I begin this day, I open to receive You.
Please enter where You already abide.
May my mind and heart be pure and true,
and may I not deviate from the things of goodness.
May I see the love and innocence in all mankind, behind the masks we all wear and the illusions of this worldly place.
I surrender to You my doings this day.
I ask only that they serve You and the healing of the world.
May I bring Your love and goodness with me, to give unto others wherever I go.
Make me the person You would have me be.
Direct my footsteps, and show me what You would have me do.
Make the world a safer, more beautiful place. 
Bless all Your creatures.  
Heal us all, and use me, dear Lord, that I might know the joy of being used by You.
Amen.


God is already in each and everyone of us.  He's in me right now....probably helping me write this post.  He has a message for all of us.  We just need to be open to receiving it.
  

Who am I?   I am Jeannette.... spirit.....love....hope....faith......













 photo sob_zps617069f1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog! Congrats on 29 days sober - I think for sure you can get to 365! Have you gone to Belle's website Tiredofthinkingaboutdrinking.com and signed up for the 100 day sober challenge?

    Also, If you like Oprah's Super Soul Sunday, I have an author I think you would like...Pema Chodron - she's actually a Buddhist monk and her teachings are all about getting out of your head (something I struggle with) - her books have proven very helpful to me over the past few years for different issues, and now as I struggle to stop drinking (again).

    I look forward to hearing more about your journey and enjoyed your beautiful winter pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I'm glad I found your blog and I'm so happy you registered for the 100 day challenge. I did that the last two times I tried to quit and was so disappointed in myself for giving up. So I thought I try it differently. I look forward to reading about your journey! Thanks for info on author. I'll definitely look her up! Have a good day, 17?
      Hugs
      Jen

      Delete